Thursday, November 19, 2009

Rihanna: Nokia Concert in London @ The 02 Academy

The Wait is Ova, The Wait is Ova, … The Wait is Ova, The review is finally here.

On Monday I was invited by a division of Rihanna’s Management and Nokia to attend her exclusive album launch concert. To my amaze, I was delighted to go; as you all know I’m a big fan of Rihanna and everything thats she’s put out this era so having this thrown at me randomly caught me off guard lol. Let’s begin.

As soon I as I arrived in the arena I was pleased that I was placed at the front row directly by the stage, all I kept thinking was Where is Rihanna, Where is Rihanna? I kept thinking she was going to pop out at any random moment lol. So I stood around eyes peeled while I admiring the stage set which can I say was pretty good!! I’d love to have something like that for a shoot one day it looked crazy!!, besides that lol, we serenaded by DJ’s Chase and Status [Producers of "Wait Your Turn"] which helped the crowd get into the party mood. The arena filled and then Nokia began to put a swirling “R” logo on their screens, it was then that the music cut and we knew she was about to make her entrance.

The arena went dark, the stage lit, and a video back drop appeared showing images of Rihanna behind the scenes of her album shoot, on her way to fashion shows in Paris, and various other paparazzi shots from around september this year, while the video was accompanied by the intro to the Rated R album “Mad House”, and some cool effects reminiscent of the 80s and old television sets which funny enough the back drop was surrounded by.

The track ended and  ”Wait Your Turn” began to play it was then that Rihanna emerged from underneath the stage, the crowd went nuts as all eyes where on her. She sang, and she moved!, the new swagger that Riri’s donned lately just oozed from her presence, you felt that gangster bad chick element in every step, every lip movement, every hand gesture, plus it helped that she looked amazing. She looks great in photos but even more stunning in person, such a beautiful woman.

Going through at set list of  Wait Your Turn, Russian Roulette, Don’t Stop The Music, Take A Bow, Unfaithful Disturbia ,Hard, Live Your Life, Run This Town and Umbrella. Rihanna’s vocals were definitely on point particularly during the acapella version’s of Unfaithful, Take A Bow and Disturbia. If anything I would have to say the acoustic version of Disturbia has sparked a my reinterest in the track. She sung it as normal but it was the band who took it on this dark groove journey which really gave you a different feeling from the orignal, I loved it.

At more than one point Rihanna looked as if she was singing in my face which made my heart burn lol but I loved it, I didnt know whether to look away or not, but overall perfomring wise,  the vocals, the aura, the set, the crowd, it was all a great feeling, plus the guest appearances from Jay -Z  and Young Jeezy just helped to make the mood even better. I only wished that the whole thing lasted longer as time flies when your having fun.

A big success on Nokia’s part they really should do this more often and with great urban/pop artists, I would love to be involved in any of their future projects as this was superb.A big thank to them and all the teams involved that helped me to have a great night.

Check out some of highlights from the show below:

IMG| Andre DeVeaux

No comments:

Post a Comment